The Norm: 14,110 Feet Above Sea Level!

The Norm: 14,110 Feet Above Sea Level!
The Norm: 14,110 Feet Above Sea Level!

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Coronado to Sequoia National Forest


    Left Coronado by 9:00am Tuesday 8/24/2010. Mainly highway riding for the first half of the day, I-5 / I-15 / HW 395. Had lunch at some forgotten town on 395, wasn't very good but I was hungry. It was deadly hot in those parts, someone told me it was topping 120 degrees. Glad I have this Camelbak, but still probably sweated a few lbs. Finally made it into the lower hill country where I  spotted a sign that said Trail of 100 Giants, I was close at last. The whole reason I headed up this way was to see the Sequoia trees that are from a time long forgotten.
    Lots of twisties on the way up to the forest, but still uncomfortably hot b/c it started out as a canyon road. The trail of 100 Giants was awesome. HUGE! Unbelievably HUGE trees. I've never seen anything like 'em. Met some random fella who had been hiking for the last 65 days. Was in the Irish military and this was supposedly a hike for charity. Some crazy shit if you ask me, but he was interesting enough.










    Ran out of light really quickly, or at least it felt like it. Found my way to a campsite where a nice old guy named Patrick and his German Sheppard Bruno said I could share his sight and could set my tent up by the light of his fire. We chatted  for a few hours over some beers (also his) about life, business, motorbikes and camping. Good conversations.
    The campsite was in the middle of some redwoods with the sound of a creek nearby. I was sound asleep in minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment