The Norm: 14,110 Feet Above Sea Level!

The Norm: 14,110 Feet Above Sea Level!
The Norm: 14,110 Feet Above Sea Level!

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Me & The Norm & Tom

Sequoia National Forest to Kings Canyon
Wednesday 8/25/2010



    While I was packing up my tent in the morning after Patrick and Bruce left, I saw a guy on a small motorbike cruzing down a dirt road next to the campsite. He looked pretty adventurous, like a hiker who's just using the motorbike for transportation between trails.
    I actually ran into him on the road out of the forest (beautiful road by the way). His name was Tom, an old bird who's been coming up to these parts for years. He rides a Yamaha 225 w/ a hiking backpack and pretty much only the clothes on his back and a fishing rod. Talk about an adventure man w/ a true passion for wanderlust. He convinced me to stay up in the Sierra Nevada Mountain within just a few minutes of chatting. My original plan was to head back the coast to ride the PCH.


    Had to ride down into the valley west of the mountains through some small towns. Again, hot and sweaty.  


    Came into the Sequoia National Park early afternoon. National Forests are usually free w/o many amenities, while National Parks are not free and have many amenities. Found a beautiful swimming hole just off the road, decided to take a dip. Gear off, trunks on, splash, ahhhh.  Just so happens this same spot I stopped at is one of Tom's favorite fishing holes. He showed up, through in a line while I cooled off in the water. He knows these parts like the back of his hand, so I decided to join him and learn a few things while I'm out this way.


    Spectacular riding through the giant Sequoias in this park.  Altitude between 6000 and 7000 feet. Just awesome, or as Tom likes to say, "Bitchen!"







    Unbelievable views riding down into our campsite in Kings Canyon. Set up tents about 20 feet from a small rushing river. Now at 4000 feet, going to sleep w/ a smile on my face.

1 comment:

  1. I've driven these roads many times before but on my scooter it seemed so different. I'm glad we got together for part of your "adventure". Tom

    ReplyDelete