The Norm: 14,110 Feet Above Sea Level!

The Norm: 14,110 Feet Above Sea Level!
The Norm: 14,110 Feet Above Sea Level!

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Los Angles to San Diego (Coronado)

Not to much to report, but since its been a while since my last post, thought I should give a few updates.

    I finally got back in the saddle and headed out of LA Sunday. It felt really good to be riding again. I had a couple days off, so it took quite a few miles to get used to all the weight The Norm has to carry again. I think I need to shed some items to try and lighten up the load a little bit. While I'm here in Coronado I'll comb through everything and see what I can live without on this trip.

    So in California there is a law called "Lane Splitting". If you are unfamiliar w/ this law, basically it allows motorcyclists the right to ride in between lanes and therefore in between cars & trucks occupying those lanes. Let me just say, it takes some big cojones to split lanes on the LA freeways, so I have a lot respect for those riders that do it day in and day out. I went to the motorbike shop last Friday afternoon to get The Norm an oil change and I had my first lane splitting lesson for about 20 straight miles down to Long Beach on the 405 Freeway during rush hour. It's quite an eye opening and heart racing experience. I can honestly say it's not my first choice for city riding, however I also know sitting for hours in traffic and smog is not what motorbikes are made for. If you ever find yourself in California, try splitting lanes and let me know how your experience is. I have a feeling it will be quite similar to my own.

    I came to San Diego to see an old friend of mine from high school, PJ Ramsey. He's and old wrestling buddy who's now a Port Side Linesman for the Goodyear Blimp. It's been really great catching up and just hanging out. I had no idea there was a place like Coronado almost right in the heart of San Diego. Its a small beach community w/ an island feel. 

    Spent most of Monday cleaning and wrenching on The Norm. I think I have finally beaten the chain issue I've had so much trouble with. Heading back to a BMW shop later today to pick up some more goodies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment