The Norm: 14,110 Feet Above Sea Level!

The Norm: 14,110 Feet Above Sea Level!
The Norm: 14,110 Feet Above Sea Level!

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 1: Houston to Alpine

                Whew, that was one long hot day! I left Houston around 8:00am (it was already above 80 degrees), and the temperature just continued to climb. I found out later that temperature had reached about 103 degrees, not including the humidity. Luckily there were no traffic jams along the way or I would have really been toasty. But I'm sure in a few months, I will find myself complaining it's too cold and wishing for the warming weather, it's a vicious cycle I tell you. I have to remind myself I chose this type of traveling experience and I have to accept everything that comes with it, even this godforsaken heat. Ok, enough with the heat complaints.
                Well... 550 miles down, and many more to go. I ended up stopping in Alpine TX for the night. For those of you who don't know Texas very well, Alpine is actually known by NO ONE in Texas, except for the 6,000 residents who live here. It's a small west Texas town just northwest of Big Bend, the grande National Park that buddies up next to the Mexican border. Alpine is also just 30 miles east of the world famous Marfa Texas. I'm not sure how world famous it is, I have been there once before and had some pizza and a soda. Nothing that I saw struck my fancy, but maybe I will dig a little deeper tomorrow and see what I can find.
                Is it just me, or does anyone else have an affinity for trains? On my way into Alpine this evening, I got lucky and the road merged with some tracks and there was a mile long train rolling west, same as me. Not a car in sight and it was just him and I for miles upon miles. It was a spectacular way to end the day's ride.  
                Okay, that's it for tonight. Check back again every so often to see some updates. I'm very new at the whole blogging thing so I will try my best to keep everyone engaged and entertained like in a miniseries.
                To be continued......

1 comment:

  1. Sweet! Though it was my birthday so I'm slightly offended you weren't here to share a beer or something... :-P

    ReplyDelete