The Norm: 14,110 Feet Above Sea Level!

The Norm: 14,110 Feet Above Sea Level!
The Norm: 14,110 Feet Above Sea Level!

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day Trippin' in Mexico


    I left PJ's house about 9:00am Friday morning. Decided the night before I was definitely headed South of the boarder for a quick trip into Mexico. Many people tried to shy me away from the idea because of all the recent violence from the drug cartels at the boarder towns, but I received some great advice from a few supporters, "Just keep heading south," they said "you'll be fine."

    I didn't pack my large metal panniers or any camping equipment, but packed all the essential tools and gear in my small Camelbak backpack. My thought process was the less that could get stolen the better. I set my sights on a town called Rosarito for lunch. Not to far from the boarder and overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Thought it seemed quite nice.

    Headed out of Coronado using the south "Strand" back to the mainland.. Only about 4 exits and I hit the boarder. Crossing was a piece of cake. Seems Mexico doesn't care who they let in, but I know on the way back it's going to be another story. Took the scenic road (1D South) which takes you away from all the hustle and bustle of Tijuana right to the coastline for some nice scenic riding. 



    Made it into Rosarito around 11:00am, just in time for an early bird lunch. Lobsters, tortillas and beer. The best way to eat lobster (as of now) is wrap it in a fresh flower tortilla and then hand dip it into the melted butter. Spectacular! Met another motorbiker at this lunch spot (who also was having the lobster), he was on his way back from a town just over an hour south of here called Ensenada. The bartender also told me about a little spot called the "Blow Hole" in La Bufadora which is just a little further south of Ensenada. Some rocks spew water (like a whale) when the waves enter into a crack at the bottom of the cliffs. Well, since I was already enjoying my short visit, and it sounded like wasn't finished exploring yet, further south I was headed!

    The ride down to La Bufadora was amazing. Road was paved, but it has some really nice twisties that followed the coastline so the views were spectacular and the weather was perfect.




    
    Here is the "Blow Hole" at La Bufadora. Had to stand back a bit so the camera wouldn't get wet.


    By the time I was headed North it was getting late and I felt like stopping one last time to soak up as much of Mexico as I could on this day trip. I stopped at a little outdoor cafe between La Bufadora and Ensenada and filled up on a cerveza and some homemade toasted tortillas before making my way back north. 


    Getting back into the States was pretty interesting. When I finally made it back into Tijuana the 405 was slammed. Luckily,"lane splitting" is practiced regularly in these parts as well and so I slowly made my through the cars, trucks, people, jugglers, fruit stand carts, furniture makers, beggars, insurance salesmen, soda bottle venders and trinket peddlers. I literally felt like I was driving through the middle of a circus. It was a pretty fun way to end the ride. Made it to within 200 feet of the boarder and ended up sitting for almost an hour. Normally I would have been cursing under my breath, but todays adventure kept my mind occupied. Today, there was no complaints, I made it back in one piece :)

    

No comments:

Post a Comment